Saturday 18 January 2020

Recent Reads Reviewed #20



Lauren Conrad Style by Lauren Conrad - 4/5

This was quite a cult book back in the day along with Lauren’s beauty guide. I decided to reread it out of curiosity to see if I still liked it and also to make up my mind whether to donate it. If you like Lauren’s way of dressing, you’re going to love this book because her style leaps of the page. Learn how to have her understated, casual yet chic look with top tips and interesting sections on clothing for all occasions. Maybe a little too young for me now, but I can see this going to a good new home.

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen - 5/5

This children’s picture book really impressed me. I loved the graphic design feel to the illustrations and quirky narrative. We follow the story of a bear as he tries to get his favourite hat back after losing it. It genuinely made me laugh, and would recommend it to families with young children.


Transparent by Natalie Whipple - 5/5

I originally picked this book up at Poundland a good few years back now, and can’t believe it’s taken me so long to get around to reading it. This book is full of superpowers, romance and general kick-ass. Our protagonist, Fiona, is invisible, on the run from her crime lord father and trying to blend into her new life and make friends. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, its uniqueness, and well written romance dealing with finding a boyfriend when you’re invisible. There’s a sequel I’m hoping to get to at some point.


Starry Night by Debbie Macomber - 5/5

Nothing beats reading Debbie Macomber as we head into that time of year to get all cosy with a book. The plot is centred on Carrie, who wants more from her job working at a newspaper; she is challenged by her editor to do a story on Finn, a writer and recluse living in Alaska.

I thought the story was written very well, and I appreciated the slow build up of romantic tension between Carrie and Finn. Finn doesn’t seem your everyday romantic lead, and it was enjoyable to see both Carrie and Finn open up to new possibilities in life. The descriptions of Alaska were very atmospheric, and I felt like I was under the stars too as I read them. 


My Story (The Winner's Book) by Matt Cardle - 5/5

I’ve been an X-factor fan for quite a number of years, and have a few favourites including Matt Cardle. I absolutely loved reading about his X-Factor journey and what it was like behind the scenes. Matt’s voice really came through in the writing and there’s lots of great photos, which was an extra treat!

Great Bunny Bakes by Ellie Snowdon - 5/5

This well written and beautifully illustrated children’s book was a delight from start to finish. In this story we follow some bunnys, a badly disguised wolf and a baking competition. If you have any younger female family members that would appreciate a book for Easter, I recommend this one, because it’s rather special!


Lauren Conrad Beauty by Lauren Conrad - 4/5

I remember being so excited to receive this book for Christmas when it came out as at the time I enjoyed watching Lauren on a reality TV show called The Hills. This is just as good as book one although this time it’s all about make-up and hair. I loved the hairstyle demonstrations, as not only were they very Lauren but look easy to recreate. This is a lovely book which I can see being popular with girls from teens to twenties.

Have you heard of any of these books before?
Or have you added any of these to your reading list? :-) Xx

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I've never read any of the Lauren Conrad books before. I follow her on Pinterest, and love her style so I really think I'd enjoy her books. I'll have to add them onto my to buy list xx

    GemmaEtc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma :-) I could see you enjoying Lauren's books if you like her style. You might already be aware but she has a really great blog too. Lauren has quite a few books out now, including both fiction and non-fiction. Hope you get to a few of them sometime! :-) Xx

      Delete