Saturday 18 June 2022

These are a few of my favourite things #20

 

Books:

Crafty Ideas: Print by Hannah Tofts

Here are some great ideas for making personalized gifts and having fun with painting. Packed with lots of beginners’ printing projects for paper as well as fabric, including some tips for making printing blocks and stencils. 

Making Winter by Emma Mitchell

This is one of the cosiest, hygge craft books I’ve come across, including simple projects, warming recipes and ways to beat the winter blues. The writing style and overall feeling of the book is beautifully evocative of the season; a perfect gift idea for someone interested in craft who might need a bit of cheering up.

Book Love by Debbie Tung

This book has been on my radar for a good while now, but recently one of my favourite book influencers shared this title and reminded me I’d not yet read it. We follow a bookworm in a series of short comics capturing what it means to be head over heels for books. The author perfectly captured this, making me smile ear to ear with her witty humour; I can’t imagine any book fanatic not loving it.


Too Small Tola by Atinuke

Tola lives with her family in a crowded flat in Lagos, Nigeria. Whether it’s market day or a no-water day at home, Tola proves that though she may be small, she is mighty. We follow a determined young girl in three short stories, each showing a different part of her daily family life. A book written with a lot of spirit; I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to others.

Unconscious Bias by Annie Burdick

This is a brilliant starting point to learn about our hidden prejudices. I wanted to read material outside my comfort zone as I was interested in educating myself. It’s actually a tiny little book but crammed with information on why our biases matter, how to identify your own biases, biases in society and becoming consciously unbiased. I had a few uncomfortable moments when my biases were challenged, so for me the author achieved her aims. I plan to continue reading about the topic.


The Perfect Fit by Naomi Jones

This is a charming picture book aimed at teaching young children how to accept the differences in everyone while making new friends. Illustrated through the use of shapes, and a little yellow triangle who learns to celebrate diversity in others. I thought the message was very thought-provoking, and worked well with the illustrations.


Solo: The Joy of Cooking for One by Signe Johansen

I saw this title in the library catalogue, and I was intrigued by the concept straight away. In the prologue, she talks about self-care/mindfulness as well as making the most of your leftover food. The recipes are quite fancy, and the book is beautifully laid out. My Nan has read similar books in the past, so I think she would be interested in it too.

Garden Cookbook by Rob Rees

This bite-sized children’s book showcases food produce that can be easily grown in your garden and includes straightforward recipes such as soups, salads, dips, smoothies, etc. I’ve been growing my own fruit and veg for a few years now, so the book provided relevant inspiration. 



Films:

Love, Bubbles & Crystal Cove (2021)

‘Skye is preparing for another great year of her business ‘Lather and Luxury’. She sells colourful and fragrant bath products, face masks, you name it! When her childhood sweetheart Gavin arrives in town to help improve her business model, she initially refuses.’

This film had a cosy, homely way about it. I also felt it was well cast, particularly the lead couple. Overall, I enjoyed it for a bit of escapism.

Love’s Sweet Recipe (2021)

‘Talented chef, Mandy Preston’s life has been turned upside down ever since the passing of her father, who was the master chef of her family’s famous restaurant. Now her family business is failing, her love life is in shambles, her passion for cooking has died and her childhood best friend and fellow chef Jake Turner has left town to find work in the big city.’

What made this film for me was the emphasis on good quality cooking and it was also nice to get a sense of how a family bistro is run. The main characters weren’t your usual choice but that’s why I liked them. 

Sugar Plum Twist (2021)

‘After failing to get the coveted role of the Sugar Plum Fairy in this year's production of The Nutcracker, Vivíana Serrano joins forces with Natalia, to create a surprise reprise of the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy...with a Latin twist.’

This was a gorgeous Christmas film with a very festive feel to it. I liked the cast, and each person brought something special. The theme of dance was well executed as there were a lot of talented performers.




Podcast

Call of the Wild with Cel Spellman

I’ve been listening to a few episodes of this podcast hosted by an ambassador of the Worldwide Fund for Nature. There are insights into how, as individuals, we can make lifestyle changes to help the environmental crisis. So far, I’ve learned more about topics such as plastic pollution, the food industry, and deforestation.


How has your month been?
Did you find any of these reviews interesting? :-) Xx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing sweetie!

    Danielle | thereluctantblogger.co.uk

    ReplyDelete