Thursday 4 February 2021

Vintage Inspiration for Cards & Scrapbooking

One day I was browsing some journaling layouts on Pinterest and I stumbled across a term called ephemera vintage which in the back of my mind I’d come across before but didn’t know a lot about.

I looked up the definition in a search engine:

‘In a nutshell, to collectors “ephemera” are vintage printed or written items which originally served some specific purpose and were not expected to be retained or preserved, but which are now cherished.’

‘Vintage ephemera is similar to modern ephemera in that it consists of paper items that were designed to be short-lived. In past eras, people often saved everything from scraps of wrapping paper, greeting cards, matchbooks, paper coasters and other items that could be reused or that held personal significance.’

My personal definition: Ephemera vintage seems to be a popular, aesthetically pleasing style used for card making, and scrapbooking. Examples include worn paper, old-fashioned images such as adverts, nature related, general scraps, etc.

I was looking through my own handmade cards 
and I was pleased to find some with that vintage kind of style:

Here are some more images I stumbled across on pinterest for you to get an overall idea:











Search term suggestions:
ephemera vintage
ephemera vintage paper
ephemera vintage postcards
ephemera vintage garden
ephemera vintage shabby chic
ephemera vintage printables

The beauty of this vintage style is materials can be found organically. But if you are stuck for finding things for your scrapbooking/card making eBay is literally a treasure trove.

Have you come across this style of art before?
Are you interested in scrapbooking/card making? :-) Xx

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting post and topic. I like seeing some of the those vintage cards postcards etc. Scrapbooking is no doubt relaxing hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! <3 I’ve been doing more crafting lately, and this post was a fun one to make. Let me know if you give scrapbooking a go. Take care. :-) Xx

      Delete
  2. These are just absolutely precious!

    Danielle xx
    https://www.thereluctantblogger.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Danielle! Let me know if you decide to get give crafting a go. :-) Xx

      Delete