Saturday 27 February 2021

Jigsaw Log #5

 

It’s lovely to be back with this series. Recently I’ve been thinking about getting back into the hobby, although at the moment my jigsaw table is being used for something else. My Mum gifted this jigsaw to my Nan a while back, and my Nan, Mum and myself completed it March 2020, just before the pandemic hit. 

I really recommend this design because of the intricate picture, making finding the appropriate pieces a little bit easier. It had 500 pieces, so it was fairly doable as well. The image is of a busy park with lots of people, so we found it a nice conversation topic as we were doing it.



I found an interesting article on jigsaws: How did the Jigsaw Puzzle Become a Popular Pastime? 

If you want to read it for yourself, it covers the early history of jigsaw puzzles, 
the boom in popularity and how they're made today.

Here are a few quick quotes from the article:

‘Although puzzles are often regarded as a leisure activity,
 its beginnings are rooted in education and the teaching of geography.’

‘The name “jigsaw” refers to the specialized saws used to produce them;
 however, it would not become commonplace until decades later.’

‘Jigsaw puzzles have seen a resurgence in popularity in 2020 due to the coronavirus.’



I completed two other jigsaws in 2020:
The tropical sea life design in February (blog post here)
The supermarket design in July (blog post here)

Has this inspired you to do a jigsaw?
Or do you already do many, if so what types? :-) Xx

5 comments:

  1. A fun post, enjoy reading your blog . Puzzles are great way to past the time.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! Glad you are enjoying the puzzle content. Have a great day too! :-) Xx

      Delete
  2. This looks like a very complicated, but fun, puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anca. Yes, the picture is very busy, it was a fun one! :-) Xx

      Delete
  3. Hi! I hope your day is going well. It’s been so long since I have read a blog, but this blog caught my interest. I am going to check back often in order to apply some of your tips into my life. Also, I will recommend this blog to my friends.
    Nayab Wholesale Henna Powder

    ReplyDelete