Monday 14 June 2021

These are a few of my favourite things #8

 

Books:

Jamie’s America by Jamie Oliver

This was the first book I have read by Jamie Oliver however the mix of food, culture, and travel interested me. This is so much more than a cooking book as it includes essays, beautiful travel documentary photography and illustrations. 

Many of the recipes are aimed at the more advanced, and are unsuitable for vegetarians, but I can imagine most ‘foodies’ coming away with something. I liked the twists Jamie put on different recipes sourced from around America. I actually don’t cook, although I do some baking, and if you bake as well, there are some dessert recipes in there too. I appreciated all the unusual salads he created, they look so aesthetically pleasing and delicious. 

This book has encouraged me to be more adventurous when I order at restaurants. I learned some new recipes and ingredients I hadn’t previously heard of. If you know of someone with a passion for visiting America, I would recommend this title as a gift. Jamie didn’t choose the obvious route with how the book was put together.


Oliver & Patch by Claire Freedman 

Fun, heart-warming story for children about a boy who moves to the city, rescues a dog and makes a new friend along the way. The quirky illustrations are fabulous. One of my personal favourite picture books of late.

The Little Book of Humanism by Andrew Copson 

I knew very little about humanism going into this book, and I felt this was an excellent way to learn more. The definition I found online describes it as ‘A rationalist outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters.’

Chapters cover things like religion and faith, science and progress, living well, etc. The book includes mini essays, beautiful poetry and quotes as well as the occasional photograph. The book was short, concise and one of the most interesting books I’ve read this year.

I didn’t agree with everything but I think that’s fine when you are learning about a new topic. Many of the words were incredibly enlightening, and occasionally hard hitting. There were some positive and negative thoughts expressed. 

My favourite chapter was science and progress because I’ve been reading some quite negative oriented books about the environment lately and it was nice to see an author mention all the progress humans have made particularly regarding scientific discovery.


Trick or Treat Poems Chosen by Paul Cookson 

Spooky, atmospheric poems that are fun for Halloween. The clever wording and witty humour made me laugh. The poems came across cohesive even though the authors varied. Lovely little book.

Cool Spaces for Kids by Sam Scarborough 

A book about making cosy places for children to play is a beautiful concept. Everything is very nicely presented and made me feel nostalgic of imaginative playtime as a child. I would recommend this read to creative families.


Lifestyle:

Brain Benders Crazy Crosswords 

I wanted to challenge my crossword ability, so I gave this children’s puzzle book a go. It’s split into three sections: beginner, intermediate and expert which I found both fun and useful. Towards the end, I could feel I had improved my technique and spelling.

Poppies in Bloom

On one of the walks, I go on with my family I noticed the poppies were in bloom. They really are lovely and vibrant and perfect to photograph.


Have you noticed the poppies in bloom too?
Do you have any book recommendations for me? :-) Xx

6 comments:

  1. I am going to have to check these out, thanks for sharing!

    Danielle | thereluctantblogger.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting selection of books, the Jamie oliver one inspired me to try some new recipes. Nice to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jamie Oliver one was so interesting, I hope to read more by him at some point. Happy cooking. :-) Xx

      Delete
  3. forgot to mention ... love the poppy photo. You could use it sell as postcard or print - great picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. Maybe I’ll use it in my card making or something. :-) Xx

      Delete