Sunday 14 June 2020

Recent Reads Reviewed #25


The Little Book of Lykke by Meik Wiking - 5/5

Meik Wiking had a huge success with The Little Book of Hygge, and after reading it myself I thought I would try his other book. In similar vein to Hygge, Lykke is a Danish word meaning happiness and the book talks us through insights backed by the author’s work at the happiness research institute. This book was both fascinating and inspirational, just flipping through it now makes me excited to reread it.

The Crown (The Selection #5) by Kiera Cass - 3/5

Let’s begin by saying I love The Selection series. For those of you that don’t know, this is a dystopian fairy tale, where America enters a reality TV contest to win Prince Maxon’s heart. The first three books are wonderful reads, but the last two I didn’t seem to rate quite as high. I recommend you give the series a try if you think the premise of the series sounds interesting as I very much enjoyed it overall.


Think Twice (Don't Even Think About It #2) by Sarah Mlynowski - 5/5

Think Twice is the follow up to Don’t Even Think About It. In the series we follow a class of students who find they all have telepathy, and in Think Twice they come to terms with what might happen to them if they lose this new power. I enjoyed the second book even more than the first. Its premise is pretty unique, with additional themes of everyday high school life. The series is enjoyable, escapist, and easy to read so I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to others.

A Summer Scandal by Kat French - 5/5

This was a library book that appeared in my requests, maybe by accident but I’m glad it did as I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The plot appealed to me for its uniqueness, and the idea of an adult-themed arcade was done well. The story and characters developed slowly at first, and I loved the romantic tension that built up between the lead couple. While the book was very well rounded in lots of ways; the evocative love scenes were what made the reading experience for me. The ending surprised me, kept me on my toes and things were wrapped up nicely. I look forward to reading more from this author for sure.


Franklin's Flying Bookshop by Jen Campbell - 5/5

I know of Jen Campbell through her Bookish YouTube channel, and in her videos she comes across very eloquent and passionate about literature. I’d been wanting to read this children’s book for a while, mainly out of curiosity but also the illustrations seemed beautiful. My expectations were not let down, the art work was woven into a well written and enchanting story that’s perfect to capture any child’s imagination. I can see it being popular with all ages, I know I thoroughly enjoyed it!


Be More Unicorn: How to Find Your Inner Sparkle by Joanna Gray - 5/5

This is a lovely, lovely little book. Guided by the thought of being like a unicorn, we are told through different chapters how to be more magical, playful, fierce and more. I love the idea of using the unicorn as inspiration for a self-help book. The content was actually really helpful, and uplifting.

Be My Valentine by Debbie Macomber - 5/5

Both story’s featured in this book were really cosy, and lovely to read. This was cheesy, romantic escapism at its best and I could see this book being many people’s guilty pleasure. It is well written, and the characters interactions pull on the heart strings. I might be picking up a few more Debbie Macomber titles from the library, I fully recommend.


Have you read any of these books?
Which one of these sounds most interesting to you? :-) Xx

2 comments:

  1. I read the Little Book of Lykke when it was published. Maybe I should read it again, at least snippets of it. I remember that it was really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anca :-) Thanks for taking the time to comment. I’m pleased you have found a recommendation for a book you want to read. I’ve been doing quite a bit of rereading lately, it’s lovely to rediscover books from your shelf. :-) Xx

      Delete