Sunday 19 September 2021

These are a few of my favourite things #11

 

Books:

Halloween by Joanne O’Sullivan

Described as a grown-up’s guide to creative costumes, devilish décor and fabulous festivities. This is a really great book and I appreciate that (unconventionally) it’s aimed at adults. I particularly liked the costumes and history of Halloween. The whole book made me smile; I would recommend it!

The Liszts by Kyo Maclear

Jen Campbell recommended this picture book on her YouTube channel. It’s a beautiful, whimsical and at times dark tale about a family who always write lists but they discover the joy of spontaneity. The book is gorgeous with striking illustrations and I loved the contemporary design very much.

The Science of Gravity by John Stinger

Absolutely loved this book. A perfect way to learn more about this topic in bite-size chunks. Educational and fascinating as well as making the mind boggle.

Slapstick Poems by Roger McGough

Fun, and varied poems. I liked how one moment could be quite solemn and the next playful. I thought the writing stood out on many occasions. This is the kind of the book that’s just my cup of tea.


Eat Happy by Melissa Hemsley

Firstly, the cover was what drew me in and I liked the idea of eating happy. The book is very stylised and beautifully presented. I enjoyed the introduction and how the author mentioned she likes zero-waste when cooking. The recipes seem to be the kind you find in trendy restaurants and things I would love to try. My only nag is the ingredients might be hard to get hold of. I would recommend this for inspiration or as a foodie gift. 


Earth and Space by Usborne

Really enjoyed this as it’s crammed with interesting information about earth and space science. It made me feel humbled to live on planet earth. The space section was my favourite bit as I learnt a lot.


A Victorian Portrait by Asa Briggs

This book is described as Victorian life and values as seen through the work of studio photographers. A fascinating insight into this time period and what people were like. The collection of photographs were remarkable. Some of the accounts were a little haunting. It’s not something I would normally pick up but my library lady recommended it and I can see why.



Audio Books:

This month I started getting into audio books, and I’m loving it so far. I’ve been using an app called borrow box which links to my local library. With borrow box, you can listen to audio books or read books and it’s completely free.
Beauty:

The Body Shop Almond Milk & Honey Hand Cream

I’ve tried a couple of products from The Body Shop almond and honey range now. This hand cream does a really good job of protecting and softening your hands. It’s designed for sensitive, dry hands and sinks into the skin beautifully. It features the cruelty free bunny logo.


Do any of my favourites interest you?
What things have you been loving this month? :-) Xx

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love so many of these things!

    Danielle | thereluctantblogger.co.uk

    ReplyDelete