Tuesday 27 June 2017

Recent Reads Reviewed #2


Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland - 5/5

This was an unforgettable novel and may be in the running for favourite book of the year. Unusually for the YA genre the protagonist was a male, and this was interesting to see. Henry Page’s character had an endearing quality and his love interest Grace Town had some great quirks. I loved both characters originality and how their relationship developed. Although it was a character-driven plot, the narrative was very fast-paced and easy to read, the story was heart-breaking in parts and kept me on my toes. It was a perfect mixture of bitter, sweet, first love and unexpected twists.


The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – 4/5
The expectation going into this was high, with so much wonderful praise for it around. I choose to read it, partly because I found it second-hand and also I wanted to stretch myself with new genres. One of the first thriller books I’ve read and as an afterthought, I think it was a good place to start. I liked reading through different characters perspectives, each having their own flaws and authenticity, and I still routed for Rachel somehow. Focussing the plot around a train commute was intriguing too. It didn’t find it too horrifying, there were less frequent moments like that, yet I felt gripped. I actually really enjoyed it especially with the detective element. It gave me more confidence to read outside my comfort zone. 


Starstruck (Fame Game #2) by Lauren Conrad - 3/5

I’ve been slowly working my way through Lauren Conrad’s book series, loosely based on The Hills and Hollywood lifestyle. It’s actually quite a light read, I finished it while I was on holiday, and enjoyed it for that purpose. The plot and characters are a little bit fluffy but I didn’t mind, it still had a reasonable amount of intrigue and glamour. Like I’ve spoken about before, what makes the series unique is the inside scoop on reality TV, and finding out what’s real and what isn’t. If you’re a fan of Lauren and The Hills TV show, I think you would love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment