Tuesday 12 May 2020

Recent Reads Reviewed #24


Angelica the Angel Fairy by Daisy Meadows - 3/5 

I asked my lovely librarian for some easy reads to get myself out of a reading slump, and this was one of the ones she picked. She made some really thoughtful choices throughout. Angelica the Angel Fairy is part of a series, and this instalment includes three connecting stories.

I enjoyed following the special adventures of two best friends and a few magical characters. I particularly loved the last story, which gave me a few laughs. The stories weren’t overly memorable however, and I thought some of the illustrations could have been improved. The cover is really sweet, and I liked the shiny pink.


Moods of the North York Moors by Ian Carstairs - 5/5 

I’m doing quite well with the moods series, as this is the third book I’ve read this year. I’ve been on holiday many times to the North York Moors, so I have a bit of a connection to that area. I found this edition to be the most fascinating, and well written. Many of the photographs had a documentary feel which I appreciated. It was a fairly short but memorable book for me, which I would recommend to anyone wanting to know more about this part of North Yorkshire.


Little Adventurers: Leafy the Pet Leaf by Philip Ardagh - 2/5 

We follow a group of young children called the little adventurers who meet in their back shed, to learn new things. On this occasion they each bring in their pet, but Sprat who has no animal to share, chooses to bring in Leafy the leaf. I liked that the book felt very visual, and interactive but the layout wasn’t clear and overall the story didn’t really float my boat.

Happy Days: Official Illustrated Autobiography by Olly Murs - 5/5 

I’ve loved X-Factor over the years it’s been on TV, but as I wasn’t so keen on the refresh last year I tend to watch old clips on YouTube now. This sparked an interest to read some of the previous contestant’s books, and so far I’ve read Olly Murs, Matt Cardle and James Arthur’s autobiography.

It was interesting to hear about Olly’s life before the X-Factor, as well as behind the scenes experiences after the show. I don’t think this is an official X-Factor book, which I appreciated because some of the X-Factor gossip was more honest. There were loads of photos too, great for Olly fans!


#GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso - 5/5

Sophia Amoruso, founder of Nasty Gal clothing company first started out as an eBay seller. Part autobiographical part self-help manifesto, we follow her journey and the huge success she has had building a fashion empire. A quirky character, and most definitely a #GIRLBOSS, her empowering words struck a chord with me. I can see many enterprising, girl bosses taking something from this book.


Summer Adventure Stories by Enid Blyton - 5/5

There wasn’t one story I didn’t like in this collection; Blyton pulls us into her magical worlds so naturally and using just a delicate thread they weave together as a group. Enid Blyton’s work has a timeless beauty that anyone of any age can appreciate. She is one of my favourite authors.

Paper Girls, Vol. 4 by Brian K. Vaughan - 5/5

I’m getting more invested in the Paper Girls series as I go along, and the fourth episode might be my favourite so far. The storyline, and illustrations are superb as always. I can’t see where the plot is going, but I’m excited to find out!


Have you been reading anything in lockdown?
What kind of books have you been gravitating towards? :-) Xx

4 comments:

  1. Moods of the North York Moors sounds fascinating. That is a book I would love to read. Sometimes a subject very random makes for a great book, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anca :-) Thanks so much, your comment made my day! I’ve been loving the Moods series. I agree with your thoughts too. :-) Xx

      Delete
  2. I remember reading all of the fairy books as a kid! I used to collect them all
    Charlotte / Charlotte's Picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Charlotte :-) Ah that’s awesome. I was in need of something light and the fairy series is perfect for that. :-) Xx

      Delete