Wednesday 12 May 2021

A Celebration of Secondhand Books

Welcome – I have put together a list on why secondhand books are so great including different places they can be acquired from. I hope this makes you consider secondhand books or reaffirms a love for them.


General good things about secondhand books:

Better for the environment in many ways
Each book has a story
Finding miscellaneous items inside books
Finding interesting messages or notes inside books.
The smell of vintage books
Often weathered books have a lovely aesthetic
Supporting authors/books that are less well known
A good way of expanding your reading taste


Buying in charity shops

The money goes to a good cause
You never know what you will find
A sense of community
Potentially buying local
Donations welcome

Buying on eBay

Often very reasonable prices
Potential to support small businesses
Fairly easy to find specific titles
Fun to browse

Borrowing from the library

Mostly free
An opportunity to experiment with genres
Good to support them
Lovely to engage with the librarians
Donations welcome

Free charity book shops

You can take your time with books as they don’t necessarily have to be returned.
Donations welcome

Swapping with friends

A conversation topic
Make new like-minded friends
Easy way to pass on books you have finished with


Have I missed anything worth mentioning?
How do you acquire and donate books? :-) Xx

10 comments:

  1. I buy so many second hand books from eBay!

    Danielle | thereluctantblogger.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danielle! You can get some lovely secondhand finds on eBay. :-) Xx

      Delete
  2. We are big pre-loved book fans in our house. I would say probably 75% of our collection is secondhand and we have a lot of books!
    That is one thing that has been a bit of a miss since staying at home because we'd usually get a nice haul from charity shops about once a month.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle, so lovely to hear from you! I think secondhand books have so many great qualities but I love that they are better for the environment and cheaply available in charity shops.

      I’ve missed visiting charity shops with staying home too. I’m slowly getting back into them, although I’ve just been once since the pandemic. Hope you are keeping well since you commented. Take care. :-) Xx

      Delete
  3. I usually buy secondhand books because they're cheaper and they have most bestsellers anyway. Gotta agree that each book has a story. I think I got a signed copy of a book. I like it since it's signed by my fave author even though it isn't addressed to me. haha.
    Since I we don't have libraries here, I borrow books from my best friend. We have similar taste in books. So we borrow each other's books then talk about them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Czai :-)

      Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. Yes, secondhand books can be so affordable, particularly if you are buying in charity shops. I like finding bestsellers, as I love a good bargain.

      Well done for finding a signed copy, it’s always fun when there are messages in the book. Having a bookish best friend must be amazing. Hope to chat again soon. Xx

      Delete
  4. Love books, and always get them at the Library book sales. So many great books to find at bargain, plus DVDs , CDs. So nice to read your post about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Le Chic Mode! I’ve never been to a library sale but would love to tick it off my bucket list. I appreciate a good bargain too. Hope you are keeping well. :-) Xx

      Delete
  5. Nice blog post! I frequently use the library to borrow books🙂 It is nice that reading does not have to cost a lot of money.

    www.adaydreamortwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karoline. Yes, I find using my library is so beneficial. I love that reading can be inexpensive. Hope you are doing well. :-) Xx

      Delete