Saturday 17 August 2019

Recent Reads Reviewed #15


As Weekends Go by Jan Brigden - 5/5

I picked this book from the library, after being intrigued by the premise, and the striking front cover. The story develops around Rebecca, who gets the chance to join her best friend Abi for a weekend away in York. We learn that a famous footballer is also staying there at the same time, and sparks fly. My thoughts were it was going to be one of those guilty-pleasure reads, with the scandalous characters and mishaps, but at the core of the book, was this very sweet romance. I liked that it was the best of both worlds.

I thought the way it switched between each characters perspectives added an extra level of interest. There was such a large span of different character types too. For example, we get to experience a very authentic account of a stag-do, as well as the breakdown of a marriage between Rebecca and Greg. The characters were far from perfect, and yet extremely readable. I think the highlight for me, was the girls weekend in York, it was so escapist and fun to read. This was a book I won’t be forgetting in a hurry!


Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson - 5/5

This is the second Morgan Matson book I’ve read, the first being The Unexpected Everything which I actually rated only 3/5 stars. Since You’ve Been Gone pleasantly surprised me; it was a really great story about friendship and long summer days. I don’t read a great deal of YA but I dip my toe in now and again and this was one of my favs from this year so far.

I liked the themes of running that was threaded into the narrative and it made me want to give it a go. There was an element of mystery with Sloane’s disappearance, but it wasn’t always the focus but instead Emily’s journey to discovering herself and making new connections. Without a doubt, I recommend this book!


Turning the Tide on Plastic by Lucy Siegle - 5/5

This was a remarkable book that has had an impact on my outlook to this topic. I found this read incredibly eye-opening, with the facts shared and ways to change my daily routine. I really hope more people read it as I think it has the power to change a lot of people’s habits in response to the environment and reducing plastic.

One Hundred Muddy Paws for Thought by Simon Whaley - 3/5

This is what I would define as a toilet read because of its quick, humorous style. This book is told from the eye of your misbehaving pet canine and I love dogs so I picked this one up. It was a cute read, despite being repetitive in a few places.

The Naughtiest Girl Again by Enid Blyton - 4/5

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying quite a few Enid Blyton books recently. The Naughtiest Girl Again is the second book in a series although it works just fine as a standalone. We follow young Elizabeth at boarding school, as she learns some important lessons in how to treat others kindly. I found this one to be a cosy read, with the old fashioned story and writing style. I appreciated the simplicity of plot, with an important underlying message for all ages.


The Storm Keeper's Island by Catherine Doyle - 5/5

Let me begin by saying – how stunning is this cover! This book is described on the reverse as funny, dark and blazingly beautiful which I have to agree. Darker themes are normally outside my comfort zone, but this middle-grade book had just that edge to capture my imagination.

We follow Fionn Boyle as he sets foot on Arranmore Island, the magical journey he endures and rekindling family connections. This is one of the most unforgettable reads for me this year and there is actually now a sequel which I hope to read at some point.


Gangsta Granny by David Walliams - 4/5

David Walliams is a prolific and well known children’s author and I’ve been curious to try one of his books for a while. Gangsta Granny called out to me as the idea of a jewel thief grandma appealed to me.

I knocked it down one star as in a few places, I felt the representation of elderly family members could have been better. The ending was sweet, if a little drawn out. However the story of Ben and his Grandma was really heart-warming to read and I can see lots of children enjoying it.


Have I inspired you to read any of these books?
Do you have any recommendations for me? :-) Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment