Friday 27 September 2019

Recent Reads Reviewed #16


Delete This At Your Peril: The Bob Servant Emails by Neil Forsyth - 5/5

This book had been floating around our house as an unwanted gift so I picked it up it without any high expectations. I was pleasantly surprised to find it’s the most I’ve laughed ever while reading a book. We follow protagonist, Bob Servant and his highly entertaining email exchanges with online spammers. This was one of my favourite reads from the year so far!


A Loud Winter's Nap by Katy Hudson - 4/5

In this lovely book we follow tortoise as he longs to get a nap through the winter but in the end he finds the cold season can be a time for fun and friendship. The illustrations are beautiful, and I found the overall book to be very sweet.

Thumbelina by Lucy M. George - 3/5

After flicking through the stunning illustrations I was excited to read this retelling. The visuals really made the book for me; as the way this short story was told didn’t quite match up.

Our Woodland Birds by Matt Sewell - 5/5

Everything about this book is beautiful. Once you get into the first few pages, it’s easy to emerge yourself into the poetic descriptions of each bird and fall in love with the illustrations. It’s not only a joy to read but it’s also very educational.


The Worst Witch All At Sea by Jill Murphy - 4/5

I’ve heard a couple of online book influencers talk about The Worst Witch, so I lent this title out when I noticed it in the library. It’s not the first in the series, but still readable if you haven’t read the previous books. I really enjoyed the story, and illustrations; they seemed to work so well in union. I would recommend these books for Halloween, if like myself, want something fairy spooky but with no mild peril.


Christmas at Thompson Hall and Other Christmas Stories by Anthony Trollope - 3/5

Firstly, this book is beautifully presented so grabbing it secondhand at one of the fairs I visited over the summer was a no-brainer. As well as the challenge of reading a classic, short stories set around Christmas time really appealed to me. The writing was beautiful in parts, and I’m glad to have read it but the stories were somewhat hit and miss.


Favourite Christmas Treats: Food and Crafts to Make by Jacki Pan-Passmore - 3/5

I picked this up very inexpensively at a church coffee morning. I was drawn to the vintage photography and traditional dishes that would be served in the very early 90’s when it was written. The recipes weren’t easily achievable, although I found some inspiration nonetheless.


What are your favourite book genres?
Have you been reading anything interesting lately? :-) Xx

3 comments:

  1. The first book sounds fun to read. I'll keep an eye out for it. I've read a few fun books this year. I think I need to write a longer post about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tobia :-) Thanks for your lovely comment. Delete This at Your Peril was such a funny book; if you get the chance to read it, I think you would really enjoy it. I’m glad you’ve read some fun books this year, I would love to hear about them sometime in a blog post. I appreciate the visit and I’ll make sure to visit your blog. Xx

      Delete
  2. Most employers will expect you to have a degree and will award you a special certificate to prove it. For more information about scholarship to help children learn here.

    ReplyDelete