Saturday 20 June 2020

Recent Reads Reviewed #26


The Runaway Princess by Hester Browne – 4/5

The cover caught my eye when I was picking this book up in the library, and I imagined it might be along the lines of The Princess Diaries. After skimming the premise, the story of a normal girl who meets a prince and falls in love sounded like it might be a fun read. There were moments in the book that felt like a five star read and some like a three. Although for me, the princess prepping and make-over session dragged a little, and aspects of Amy’s character annoyed me; there were lots of really promising aspects to the book.

The romantic spark between Amy and Leo as they first get to know each other was beautifully done. The romance was very wholesome and clean throughout so this book could appeal to younger readers. I was interested in how Amy was pursuing a career in garden design; all the flower descriptions throughout were a great touch. The side characters, each with their own story, felt believable and added something to my reading experience. The writing style on the whole, was easy to get lost in, and a pleasure to devour. If you are looking for a light, guilty-pleasure read; this might be the book for you.


Candy and the Broken Biscuits by Lauren Laverne – 5/5

Firstly, how colourful and fun is this cover? With a battered guitar and some help from her fairy godbrother, Candy, chases her dream of becoming a famous musician staring at music festivals. Alongside this she and her friends try to track down her biological father.

This is actually a really cool read. I enjoyed the immersive writing style and the addition of the supernatural in the form of Candy’s fairy godbrother. I’ve not seen a lot of people talk about this book but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.


It's Not Me, It's You by Stephanie Kate Strohm – 5/5

I took a chance with this read, after seeing in on sale in The Works for £1.00. I’m a bit picky about what YA books I like but I found this to be a refreshing take on high school life. After Avery gets dumped right before her prom, she decides to interview all the guys she’s ever dated, her friends, family and even teachers to see if she can find herself. The whole book is written in dialogue, which I wasn’t sure about at first, but it worked well. I liked the host of different characters and the ending was really sweet. I recommend it if you are looking for a pick me up.

The Mona Lisa Mystery by Pat Hutchins – 4/5

There’s something so cosy about old-fashioned books and being attracted to the vintage cover, I snapped this up in a charity shop on holiday. Aimed at children, it’s a fairly simple, mystery set in Paris. There are illustrations included which were quite stand-out for me. I enjoyed this read very much overall.


Five Go Adventuring Again by Enid Blyton – 4/5

I’ve been on a reading kick lately with Enid Blyton books. Blyton is a prolific writer but The Famous Five series is one of her most well-known and I began with Five Go Adventuring Again, which I picked up from the library. We follow the usual gang as they stay with family at Kirrin cottage over the Christmas holidays. There’s a thief, a secret way, and lots of adventure.

I really enjoyed this book and the cosy, old fashioned writing style. The mystery was easy to follow, and I didn’t mind easily guessing what was going to happen. I always feel transported to a different place and time with Blyton’s books. I’m looking forward to carrying on with The Famous Five series.


The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky  – 4/5

I’ve had this book on my bookshelf for a good while and thought it was time for a reread. Seen as a classic, coming-of-age story and now motion picture, we follow teenage protagonist Charlie as he is finding his way in high school and beyond. He joins a friendship group where his unique perspective on life is accepted. I found this book deep, and unnerving at times but loved it overall.

Evening Mantras: For a peaceful now and an inspiring tomorrow by CICO Books – 4/5

Evening Mantras is aimed to be read just before going to sleep; it has a lovely, relaxing vibe to it with beautiful photography and quotes. The presentation of the book is really special, and it would make a perfect gift for a friend or loved one. If you appreciate uplifting quotes like me then I would recommend you give this one a read.

Are you currently reading anything?
Which of these books sounds most interesting to you? :-) Xx

4 comments:

  1. So many amazing books! Out of these I have only read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I loved it! I haven't read it for years though, so I definitely need to pick it back up xx

    Hannah | https://luxuryblush.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! The Perks of a Being a Wallflower is a good book; I haven’t seen the film adaptation yet but it looks intriguing. Let me know if you reread it or check out any of the other books mentioned. Take care. :-) Xx

      Delete
  2. It's Not Me, It's You sounds like a fun book. I don't usually read YA, but I think I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anca! I don’t read YA that often, but there are a few titles I find myself really enjoying. It’s Not Me, It’s You was such a good read. :-) Xx

      Delete