Sunday 19 May 2019

Recent Reads Reviewed #12


Confetti Girl by Diana López – 4/5

This is one of those times when the cover made me want to buy the book. A long time ago, my Mum picked this book up for my birthday after seeing it on my Goodreads page. The premise is set around Lina, a middle school student who is a sock enthusiast and navigating life after her Mum died last year. What made the book for me were the Spanish influences, for example best friend Vanessa’s mom has been making cascarones, which are hollowed eggshells filled with confetti and have a Spanish origin. Also at the beginning of each chapter, there was a quote in Spanish which is also translated.

I’ve never read anything like this book before, I would say it’s quite unique. The Spanish traditions and look into the importance of family struck a chord with me. Lina is quirky but also a troubled child after losing her Mum. I liked that the characters in this book were flawed, and how Lina, and her Dad are finding their way together. I could imagine this book appealing to lots of young people, and it’s refreshing to know there are still good, wholesome books out there with important lessons.


Livin' the Dreem: A Year in My Life by Harry Hill – 4/5

I originally picked this up in Poundland, a long time ago as a gift, it was never read and was given back to me to read. I finally read it after my friend recommended it to me, and was pleased to have kept it. This book has Harry Hill all over it, and the humour is very entertaining although it’s sometimes bonkers I personally enjoyed reading it. It has a similar style to his film as well as his programme TV Burp.

The book takes you through the year in chapters of each month, as a year in my life style. It’s fiction, not non-fiction as although it is written by Harry Hill, it’s made up. It’s quite a hefty length, and at times, I felt it could have been shortened. I can see this book being suitable for a wide range of ages, and would recommend it to those who love Harry Hill and his humour.


Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling - 4/5

After reading Mindy’s first book ‘Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)’ I had high hopes for this one. It reads very much similar to her first book with humorous advice on things like female empowerment and dating. Her perspective is refreshingly honest and after seeing her in a couple of interviews she seems like a really sweet person. While I enjoyed it, I felt it wasn’t quite as amazing as her first novel.


The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass - 5/5

I finished reading The Selection series at the beginning of this year, and looking back at each book ‘The One’ was probably my favourite, and a top reading highlight of 2018. We follow America, who has entered a reality TV show to compete for Prince Maxon’s heart and ultimately a place in the royal family. I loved reading about America’s chance to wear royal gowns, and being emerged in quite a unique dystopian world. If you are looking for an ultimate girly, escapist read then this series is for you!


Hate That Cat (Jack #2) by Sharon Creech – 3/5

I joined my local library van last year and this was the first book I picked up because it was a quick read which I ended up finishing in one day. It’s a two part series, this one being the second, but it’s not necessary to read the first part as each tells a unique story. I’ve never read a book by this author before but after doing some research, I think all her books are free verse.

Jack is still processing the grief of this dog passing but he is greeted by an unruly black cat up a tree one day. He begins to realise maybe cats aren’t so bad and he then gets a little kitten and can’t help but adore it. He also is learning more about what it’s like being deaf through his mother. There was a beautiful poem about sign language towards the end of the book which was a highlight for me. 

Jack is assigned a school project to learn the art of poetry and as the book progresses his skills improve. It’s quite a unique concept, and I like it. It makes a great children’s book because of the way the reader goes on the journey with him, picking up different poetry devices that can be used. I did think the execution could have been a little bit better, I found some of the different sections just a little bit jumpy and disorientating to read. I give this book 3/5 stars.


What are you currently reading?
Have I persuaded you to pick up any of the books mentioned? :-) Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment