Sunday 16 February 2020

Recent Reads Reviewed #21


Billie’s Big Audition (World Elite Dance Academy) by Kimberly Wyatt – 4/5

Although this book was a gift, and not normally something I would pick up, I found myself enjoying it. The first in the series, we follow Billie who has aspirations to be a successful dancer. She has gone through some hardships, but applies to a world-famous dance school, with the support of her mother.

I found the characters were written well, each adding something extra to the story. The theme of friendship, tied the book together in a lovely way. The element of dance, was interesting to read about, and because of this I would like to continue with the series.


Jane Blonde Sensational Spylet by Jill Marshall – 4/5

The first in the Jane Blonde series. In this hilarious and often bizarre story, we meet Jane who feels invisible at school but then this larger than life woman shows up claiming to be her godmother. According to her godmother, 'G-Mamma' Jane is something special, and in fact a sensational spylet.

It was nice to read about such powerful, and go-getting female characters. It did take a while for me to get into the story but I found it to be unique, and engaging overall.


The Twelve Days of Christmas [Correspondence] by John Julius Norwich – 3/5

A young women writes daily thank you notes to a secret admirer that sends things from The Twelve Days of Christmas. At first she is pleased with her pear tree, but more and more strange things turn up and she ends up having to seek legal assistance.

This is a beautifully presented book, perfect to gift someone around Christmas time. The illustrations by Quentin Blake are as always fabulous. The story was above average but it wasn’t one of my favourites.


Paper Girls #2 by Brian K. Vaughan – 5/5

This is a wacky, sci-fi story about a group of teenage paper girls. The plot tends to veer off into random directions, so I’ve learnt to just go with it and enjoy it for that reason. The illustrations are fabulous, particularly the colour palette and the unique characters.

I’m thoroughly enjoying the Paper Girls series so far. It’s one of those times the internet made me get into it and who can resist those vivid, ombre covers? This series has inspired me to read more graphic novels. 

Monster Cake by Damian Harvey – 3/5

This was a short and sweet rhyming book for children. The story follows a baker, who makes a monster cake, and puts all kinds of bugs and things in it. I could imagine the very young thoroughly enjoying it and it made me smile!


The Curated Closet by Anuschka Rees – 5/5

I was a little late to the party with the hype of this book, but last year I asked for The Curated Closet for my birthday. I found the book highly informative, and it has inspired me to elevate my current wardrobe.

The book has a technical method to finding your style, which I found refreshing and interesting. Fashion is one of my main passions, and while reading, I gained a new perspective.

I can see a wide range of people, benefiting from reading this book, whether you know a lot about personal style or not. It’s a beautifully presented book too, with minimal, photographs and text that’s easy to follow.


Bored and Brilliant by Manoush Zomorodi – 5/5

This was probably my favourite book of 2019. The topic of social media, technology and the psychology of how it affects us is an important one that has interested me for a while. The author reflects on her experiences, including how time doing nothing can lead to new ideas. 

The writing was highly engaging, informative, and insightful. I wish I could more eloquently review this marvellous book, instead, I’m going to let you pick this title up, and find out for yourself.  


Out of these books, which have you heard of before?
Are you currently reading anything at the moment? :-) Xx

2 comments:

  1. I've not heard of any of them! My current read is the fabby The Sun Down Motel by Simone St James (The Broken Girls by her is excellent too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra :-) Hope these book recs have been useful to you. I looked up the book you were currently reading, it sounds both haunting and intriguing. I’m trying to get out of a reading slump at the moment but have been rereading some light and uplifting self-help books. Nice to hear from you and speak again soon. :-) Xx

      Delete