Saturday 8 August 2020

Recent Reads Reviewed #27

Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living by Linnea Dunne - 3/5

Lagom is a term which describes: “not too little, not too much, just right”. The book promises to reduce your environmental impact, help you become a more conscious consumer and much more, but overall, I felt this read didn’t quite meet my expectations. While the illustrations were pretty; occasionally snippets were interesting; there was too much facts and figures which I found a little dull. The book is beautifully presented however; maybe I’ll try a different author on the same topic.


Katie Morag and the Dancing Class by Mairi Hedderwick - 3/5

This was a sweet story about a young girl called Katie, who grudgingly attends a ballet class but would much rather be outside wearing her wellington boots. Very family oriented which I loved, and centered in the west coast of Scotland; we get a feel of what it’s like to live there. I see myself continuing with the series.

Winter Wishes and Other Stories by Emma Thomson - 4/5

A simple Christmas time read which I can see appealing to girly girls. We follow a group of fairy friends in three festive and fun short stories. The fairies develop their problem-solving skills and find new friendships along the way. I’ve read a few books by this author and this one was one of my favourites.


Five Go to Smuggler's Top by Enid Blyton - 4/5

Enid Blyton has become one of my favorite authors. I remember reading a few of her titles as a child despite not being the most avid of readers but in the past couple of years I’ve been more interested in them. Originally written in the 50’s I found this era a delight to learn about. The story of the famous five staying at an old house during their school holiday had a darker undertone in places, and at points I found gripping to read. I would recommend this book as well as the other books I have read so far in the series.


The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis - 5/5

The first in the Chronicles of Narnia series was nothing short of outstanding. We follow two children; Digory and Polly, who discover a secret passage to the house next door which leads to a fascinating adventure. This book was beautifully written and I can see why it’s a classic. I’m highly anticipating reading the remainder of the series.

Conscious Creativity: Look, Connect, Create by Philippa Stanton - 5/5

This book is absolutely, beautifully presented, and would make the perfect gift for anyone interested in the arts. I thoroughly enjoyed the authors perspective on creativity, as she had lots of original ideas. I often have issues with interactive worksheets in books but these were well done. Included are generous amounts of colourful and inviting photography. I dare you not to be inspired. 


100 Ways to Take Better Landscape Photographs by Guy Edwardes - 5/5

I wanted to improve my photography skills; maybe learn a few tips and tricks so I loaned this particular book from the library. There was a generous amount of information included and I learned a lot. The format of the book worked well, for example: the one hundred mini chapters, each with a different skill to be mastered. I’m hoping to apply the knowledge I have learnt into my upcoming landscape study.

Do you have any recommendations for me?
What are you currently reading? :-) Xx

2 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with the term Lagom, but it does sound interesting and I'd like to read a book about it. I'm going to search for books on Lagom at my library, to see if I can find any. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Anca. I think you might like reading about Lagom too, and I hope you find something suitable in your library. I also like reading about Hygge, which is a more well-known term you may have heard of. Good luck and happy reading! :-) Xx

      Delete